Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

2005 mazda 3: power steering..can this be fixed without replacing pump

have 2005 mazda 3i power steering keeps quitting if I move wire on pump sometimes will work can this be fixed without replacing pump?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Which wire are you moving?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the one closest to tire
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
At the pressure switch correct ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it's on pump with 3 sets of conectors car was bumped and windshield fuild resovior bumped and broke connector bracket
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok then all you need to do is repair the wire harness or the connector or pins in the connector the pump is fine it's an electrical issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
connector not broke plate 3 connectors go to broke but as far as I can see wires still connected tried to silicone bracket in place
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok I bet that one of the connectors is damaged unless it's damaged on the pump itself then the pump would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what does outer connector do
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Supply power for the steering to work . Your sure there are no damaged pins or pulled out pins in the connector?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would have to check like I said wiggle wire and sometimes it works. I thought the thicker wires were for power. Is there some place I could see a drawing
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
If wiggling the wire makes it work then there is a loose connection either a pin or pulled out wire causing this issue. The pump is fine. I don't have a wiring diagram for this .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are pumps repairable
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Yes the can be repaired .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found drawings it seems that EHPAS Control Module and Motor can be seperated and I might be able to fix motor is this posable
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Speedytimzalez/2010-04-08_122619_092420.pdf
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.

Yes it can be separated but it is one piece you can separate as per the bulletin and see if the issues is internal if not and there is no issue with the actual connectors or wiring you can get that piece from a salvage yard for about 150 dollars .These are the next steps .Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.