Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

2001 Trooper: rotors..mechanic says..the ABS light is..whats wrong

I have a 2001 Trooper, the problem is the brake kicks back just before stop. All the pad and rotors have been replaced. My mechanic says unles the ABS light is on,,they cannot scan, and therefore tell me whats wrong? Any help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Pete :

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.Does it feel like the brake pedal is kicking back on you or pulsating when this happens?Let me know,Thanks Pete.

Pete :

What could be happening here is the abs system may think that one of the wheels is slipping or locking up due to a faulty wheel speed sensor,if one of the wheelspeed sensors is giving an incorrect reading then the computer takes all four wheel signals,they should all match up to the same speed or very close to the same speed,if one is off it thinks the wheel is slipping so it will activate the ABS brakes which will give you a kick back in the brake pedal when applied.This usually wont set any codes or turn on any lights,but if you can have the mechanic watch the data on the scan tool he should be able to see the wheel speed signals and observe what they are reading,if one is off then this is the problem and needs to be corrected to fix this concern.Most likely it will need a new wheel speed sensor.

Customer:

it kicks back just before stop.

Pete :

This is the most common cause for this type of concern here and could be what is failing on your vehicle.

Pete :

o.k,this relates to what I had posted above,if one of the sensors is reading wrong this will happen.The mechanic needs to observe the data on the scan tool to watch the speed signals for each wheel,most likely he will find tht one is reading incorrectly.

Pete :

If his scan tool doesnt have a data list available to watch the data stream then another shop or scan tool is needed for this check.

Pete :

I hope this information has helped,if you need anything else let me know,If I have assisted and you feel satisfied please click accept as this is how I get paid,positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated.Thanks Pete.

Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.