Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

there is a clicking noise..instrument panel:ie gauges..car wont start

I have 2000 RR HSE 4.6. my problem is from time to time the car seems to have a electrical melt down. I turn the key on and there is a clicking noise under the passenger seat ant the instrument panel:IE gauges, airconditioning, radio, etc. all come on and off but the car won't start. I can leave it sitting for a few hours and then it will start again. The battery has been tested, it was strong. and when I took it to the electrical auto shop the problem won't show up.
Sound familiar to anyone? Can anyone help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
There are issues with the ignition switches failing was this checked ? Also was the battery tested under a load?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not checked under load.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok this could all be from bad cells in the battery or a corroded or frayed battery cable . Most common is a battery these need to be checked next . If there is still an issue need to have the electrical part of the ignition switch checked. These are the next steps . Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if not this, what next.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Then the electrical part of the ignition switch which is common. The other issue would be a failing starter . These would be the next steps . Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, i don't understand how this would affect the interior gauges, radio etc. The radio will be on but won,t give out any sound. The power surges on and off with the key in auxillary position.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes this can be the ignition switch failing causing this not allowing enough voltage for any of these items to work .The starter of its shorting out can cause an excessive draw also but could happen if the ignition switch is shorted and even though its in the auxiliary position when its shorted out can actually try to start the truck .Most common is the battery issue or the battery terminals are bad .Could even be a problem in the under hood fuse box.These need to be checked next.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician