Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

1989 Mercedes Benz 300: SEL..shift lever..park and neutral a few times

I have a 1989 Mercedes Benz 300 SEL which won't start unless I move the shift lever back and forth between park and neutral a few times while I turn the key. Is there a contact or switch that I need to clean or change out?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Your problem is your neutral safety switch, it is mounted to the transmission. Most of the time when these are acting up you can start the vehicle in neutral. Be careful though because if the neutral safety switch is screwed up badly enough the vehicle can start in gear. So hold your foot on the brake for safety. I will post a link HERE where you can get one. Click an the small photo and it will show a larger photo so you can see what it looks like. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer:

Dr. Hamman,

Customer:

Thanks for you response and information, it was very helpful. Just one final question, What is the best way to access and change out the switch; from the outside underneath or from the top under the center console?

Customer: Customer/p>
Dr. Hamman :

You have to do it from underneath the vehicle. The switch is mounted to the transmission, and the shift linkage needs to to be removed to install the part. It is doable if you have the tools and adequate mechanical skills, but you will have to make the call I don't know your experience level, or what tools you have. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer:

Dr. Hamman, \

Customer:

One final question, as far as the linkage removal. Is it a matter of taking it off the transmission making sure not to distrub it to get to the switch....then reversing the process or do I have to readjust anything.

Dr. Hamman :

The shaft the linkage goes to actually passes through the switch, that is why the linkage has to come off. These is a small amount of adjustment that is possible for the switch. But if you install the new switch in the same position as the old one you shouldn't need to do any adjustments, although adjustments could need to be made. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.