Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1994 Toyota Corolla: leaking..transmission fluid..000 miles

Can replacement of a leaking front axle cause a problem with leaking transmission fluid?
If yes, what would have to be done to the transmission to fix the problem?
Any idea what the cost would be (just a ballpark figure)?
Would it be worth fixing in a 1994 Toyota Corolla with 83,000 miles on it? Everything else is fine on the car.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

yes,it is posible to damage the axle seal in the transmission when replacing an axle

Customer:

hello--your opinion on my question?

Customer:

is it worth fixing?

tims auto repair :

the axle seal will cost aroud $!0+/-

Customer:

is that $1,000+? worth fixing?

tims auto repair :

a mechanic may charge around $100+/- to replace an axle seal

tims auto repair :

?

Customer:

do they have to take out the transmission to do it?

tims auto repair :

no..not the axle seal

tims auto repair :

if this is where it is leaking

Customer:

could the tranny leak be coming from soewhere else..maybe not the axle seal?

tims auto repair :

this will take around 2hrs

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

it could be the main seal

Customer:

so then it is worth fixing in a 1994 Toyota with 83,000 miles on it?

tims auto repair :

if this is the case,,the trans would need to come out

Customer:

is it worth fixing if it is the main seal?

tims auto repair :

i think so....if its the axle seal..you could get it fixed for around $110

tims auto repair :

maybe less

Customer:

the fact is that I canot afford a new car..and am trusting Aamco to tell me the truth and do the right thing...do you think I should trust them..or go to the dealer?

tims auto repair :

well..the dealer will cost more than aamco...i think you can trust them...but.do have another shop look at it,,just to get a second opinion

Customer:

thanks for your opinion...I don't have the time to get a second opinion..I work in a hospital and cannot take anymore time off..I will let Aamco fix the problem, whatever the cost..I don't have much choice.

tims auto repair :

ok..

tims auto repair :

i think they will do fine

Customer:

thanks and have a nice holiday weekend!!

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.