Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I HAVE A 99 NPR DIESEL BOX TRUCK, 147,000..MILES...ROAD..SMOKE

I HAVE A 99 NPR DIESEL BOX TRUCK, 147,000 MILES. STARTED SHUTTERING,PULLED OFF ROAD WITHIN 10 SEC. NOTICED SOME SMOKE IN BACK OF TRUCK. TRIED RESTARTING. TURNED OVER VERY SLOWLY. BATTERY DYING AFTER 3 TRIES. MECHANIC SAYS TURBO BAD. MECHANIC REPLACED TURBO, NOW SAYS NEEDS ENGINE. HE SAID IT PUMPED OIL FROM ENGINE. SHOULD MECHANIC HAVE INVESTIGATED FURTHER BEFORE REPLACING TURBO OR ADVISED OF POSSIBILITY OF ENGINE DAMAGE.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Yes I do agree with you on this,most likely upon inspection and or testing the technician found that the turbo was faulty,either by oil issues or possibly internal mechanical damage,but it should have been investigated as to why the turbo had failed especially if the turbo had been damaged mechanically(fins bent,broke or dinged up possibly).

It is definitely possible that the turbo can fail on its own,but if there was any mechanical damage then it should have been investigated further as to what had caused the damage and why.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I HAVE ASKED THEM TO REMOVE THE TURBO. I DON'T THINK ITS WORTH ALL THE REPAIRS. I FEEL LIKE I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR TURBO. I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR DIAGNOSTIC LABOR. DO YOU THING I AM RIGHT?

If you feel that the vehicle isn't worth the repairs then a new turbo isn't needed.If you told the shop it was o.k. to replace the turbo then most likely they will want to charge you for this turbo,but since it didn't correct the problem and now they say it needs a new engine then I would definitely argue the matter that they said the turbo would fix it and now they say it needs an engine,most likely they will have to come to terms with you on this and either give you a good discounted price on the turbo or not charge you for the turbo at all.

This all depends on how the shop operates and what they are willing to do here for you since it was misdiagnosed or not fully diagnosed properly.

I agree and wouldn't want to pay for this turbo because if I knew first off that it needed a turbo and an engine I would have re-considered what I would have wanted done here.

This is something you will have to bring up with the manager or owner to see what can be done.All shops are different on what they will do in this situation,but I would definitely bring this up and see what can be done.You are in the right here.