Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL

1998 Hyundai Accent: hatchback..His water pump blew and he

My son has a 1998 Hyundai Accent hatchback. His water pump blew and he is a collge kid and has no money so he can't afford a mechanic and I told him I would not pay for oen but I would be willign to help him replace it himself if he wanted. Seems this might have been a big mistake! i am fairly handy with cars, but soething on this one whcih on any other car is a routnie task has me really frustrated. All I ma trying to do right now is get the dang accessory drive belt off!

I have loosened the adjustment bolt, and a=onmost cars, that is all it takes and then the alternator simply swings out of the way, teh belt comes off and voila. On this thing, it won't budge. I have teh OEM manula, and it says to also loosen another blot, but I can't tell which one it is. Theres is a blot at teh bottom with a square head of soem type, but not one you can loosen formt the front. It appeasrs there is a nut thta might be able to be loosend on the back, but it is hard to even tell if it is the right onw! Can you help? do you have any pcitures anywhere on a web site taht could help me? This is stupid!

Oh, also, once I finally get this thing off, do I really have to remove teh timing belt to replace the pump? Since the pumpr runs off teh accessory drie pulley, it obviously isn't run by the timing belt itself is it? if I have to I have to, but I'd like to avoid having to worry about allthe timing stuff and making sure the TDC is bacjk where it is supposed to be and all that.

i can't wait for this kid to get out and get a job so i can "retire" as a backyard mechanic!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
TIM MOHR :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is a bolt on the bottom of the alternator, it has a square head on the front, you dont loosen it there, on the back side of this bolt is a nut, you loosen this nut and the alternator will move, and yes the timing belt has to come off, the water pump is not driven by the timing belt, but it interferes with the removal of the pump,,Tim

Customer:

OK, thanks.

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL