GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

How do I find blower motor resistor to check

Customer Question

how do I find blower motor resistor to check
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

The resistor is under the relay and fuse center on the passengers side fire wall under the hood.

• Remove the fuse block cover.
    graphic

• Remove the center bolt from the multi use relay and fuse bracket.
  • Remove the positive booster cable.
  • Disconnect the underhood fuse blocks from the bracket.
  • Disconnect the relays from the bracket.
  • Remove the nuts which attach the multi-use relay and fuse bracket to the front of the dash.
  • Remove the fuse bracket.

graphic
  • Disconnect the connector (1) from the blower resistor assembly (3).
  • Remove the screws (2) which retain the blower resistor to the heater and A/C module (5).
  • graphic
  • Remove the blower resistor and gasket.
  • GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    I am trying to fix my own a/c. # XXXXX I took my car to a garage because my ac was blowing only hot air when outside temp is hot. the garage said they checked the coil it was ok but oower was intermittent testeed and removed relay ? and ac worked for 3 months and one night I went to turn it on and no air as I drove sight air cool started to flow but no volumne and when I turn the speed controls nothing also when I turn on max air everything goes off, this is i'm checking the resistor. I don't mind paying if the person know how to fix the problem but I don't like getting ripped off if I can help. Am I looking in the right place?
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    my next question is above. Am I looking in the right place for my a/c problem by checking the resistor of the blower motor or do you think I should look elsewhere. Thanks

Do the auto headlights stop at the same time as you put it to high?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    no

Then you are on the right track by looking at the resistor.