Alex
Alex, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
15182921

2000 Mitsubishi Galant: the rpms but it sounded..freeway..slip

I started my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant (100k miles) today and by mistake pressed my foot on the gas pretty hard. i did not notice the rpms but it sounded really loud. After about 1/2 hour of driving freeway i noticed what felt to me like a little slip or push and the car shut off. Mechanic says no compression and timing belt broke. He says i can chance having the belt replaced (As long as no damage to internal parts, valves, etc.) to see if it would be ok (650.00) if it still does not work then motor needs replacing since the cost of a used engine is about the same as rebuilding it. HELP! Should i get a 2nd opinion?
This is usually the way it has to be done. Compression tests can't be done with the timing belt broken, and this is how to find out if valves have been bent. However, if the valves are bent this does not require engine replacement. It only required that one or both of the heads be rebuilt or replaced depending on which valves were affected. Your vehicle has two cylinder heads and valves may only be bent on one head.
Now that you've viewed the answer, please click accept. If you would like to ask any additional questions before accepting please feel free to do so. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you give me an idea of what the cost would be to replace or rebuild the heads that may be damaged by a repair shop?
Book time says 11 hours labor to replace one head, which is around $1100 at $100/hr shop rate. Most shops charge around $90-$110 per hour. The cost of 1 new cylinder head is around $1300, while having one head rebuilt should run around $400-$500 depending on what needs to be replaced. I would suggest having the belt installed so that compression tests can be done and you can find out if any head work even needs to be done.