hauto
hauto, Technician
Experience:  15 year hands on technician experince, associate degree in automotive technologhy
24868125

brake shops and car dealers in usa do to clean rotors, drums, calipers

what do brake shops and car dealers in USA do to clean rotors, drums, calipers, etc to minimize their exposure to the brake dust? do most of them do anything at all?

most shops have parts washers with washer solvent that gets delivered and picked up by companies like safety kleen.

other shops use brake clean in rattle cans those are available at all parts stores.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and they use this before beginning work on the brake system?

the brake rotors and drums are cleaned once their taken out of the box.

the pads and shoes are never cleaned when new. but the shoes are usually cleaned and adjusted while on the car. once every 6000 miles

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am talking about the old pads, rotors, drums, calipers, etc. how do dealers and shops go about cleaning all this off before they begin working on them to minimize their exposure to the dust? what kind of equipment do they use?

PADS are never cleaned at all, the rest of them just like I mentioned in the first reply either with aparts washer or brake clean in a spray can.

this was my answer early