Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

1963 Ford: engine runs..we push the clutch in and put..shift fine

We have a 1963 Ford Dumptruck. The engine runs just fine but when we push the clutch in and put in gear nothing happens in any gear. The transmission seems to shift fine. What should could be wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.

If you can put in gear with the engine running and there's no drive then its quite possible that the input shaft to the gearbox is broken or the clutch plate is broken.

If there's an access hatch / tin plate on the gearbox bellhousing I'd suggest removing it so you can see inside and inspect 1st hand what the gearbox input shaft is doing and if the clutch is in 1 piece. don't forget that a lot of garages now carry endoscope / borescopes for engine inspection and these can see into small spaces though only a small 1/2" hole.

So if you ask around you should be able to borrow / hire one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
While I was typing my brother adjusted the clutch. That seems to be it. Don't know why it worked yesterday but not at all today.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.

If its a mechanical clutch link / cable it possible that theres some wear in the pivot and when pressing the pedal you were only taking up the slack and not moving the clutch plate.

If the slack in the system has been removed then this should sort it, however check that there's a locking nut on the back of the adjustment to prevent it from coming unwound again.