George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

94 isuzu: Its supposed to have a new clutch in it,but is hard to shift

Customer Question

I have a 94 isuzu pick up,Its supposed to have a new clutch in it,but is hard to shift,how do I adjust the clutch?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

There is no adjustment on your clutch it is hydraulic. There is a pedal height adjustment but if the problem you are having is that it is grinding as you try to put it into gear with the engine running but you can shift normally with the engine off then the clutch is not releasing fully due to bypassing in the slave or master cylinder or there is air in the system that needs to be bled out.

The other possibility is that the clutch was not installed properly and the pilot bearing is dragging the tip of the input shaft of the transmission or the transmission was hung from the clutch disc warping the center so the clutch does not release fully.

Let me know what I happening and I will help you get to the bottom of this

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The grinding happens mainly in reverse,it is hard to shift into other gears
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Can you shift normally with the engine off?

How does the clutch feel? Normal or is all the action down at the floor? Does it seem to let out early if you are in gear and starting out from a stop?