Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

The car to make a creeking noise when you go over a bump, turn, etc

What causes the body of the car to make a creeking noise when you go over a bump, turn, etc?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
Does the noise seem like it comes from the front or the rear of the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Front - mainly on the left driver's side
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
They will make noise from the strut mounts, that you can verify if it makes noise just turning the steering back and forth while the car is stopped. The mount is right under the hood next to the fender, you can usually just stick your head down there when someone turns the wheel. If it creeks turning the wheel and it is not the strut top, it could be the tie rod end, this is easier to hear up in the air because it is behind the tire. If it won't make the noise when turning the steering while sitting still then it could be the sway bar bushings, especially if it is worse cold.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is either of these problems critical? It started doing it after I moved to a place that had a lot of speed bumps on the back roads. I may have taken the first couple a little too fast.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
If the strut top gets very loose it can mess up your alignment and eat up tires. Otherwise it is just a noise concern.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The tires are good so it's just a creeky old car?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
As long as it still feels like it's driving straight, Yes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It does drive straight. Thanks :-D
Expert:  Ted G. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using JA!
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness