GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1997 olds aurora: torque the car. in neutral..crank sensor..cam sensor

hello,
I have a 1997 olds aurora, north star 4.0.
the problems I have is under acceleration the engine smothers. engine rpm will drop to 5-600
saame if you brake torque the car. in neutral or park the engine willl rev to the rev limiter.
I have changed out the following, crank sensor, cam sensor, ignition module, map, iac and tos.
the spark plug are new, auto light brand. have replaced the intake gaskets. what am i missing?

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

have you checked the exahust for restrictions? We test at the front oxygen sensor and anything more than 1 psi is far too much. Very common on the GM converters to have this happen.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the vehicle will barley run if not stall, the clear up the rpms will go to 2800 run their on its own for a little bit then run fine. until you accererate mid pedal or so, in netural or park the engine will rev high, to the rev limiter. in drive anything past just feathering the gas its smothering the car use to back fire through the intake, sorry i didnt tell you all of this before. not going to rule out the exhaust as I have tried everything else.

No, it does not rule that out. If there are parts inthere that are floating around then they may be blockin the exhaust. Most exhaust shops will test for free.