Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

citroen xantia diesel melted its battery terminal prob due

Customer Question

citroen xantia diesel melted its battery terminal prob due to cracks and corrosion. i replaced battery and terminals and now all electrics are fine except starter which doesnt even click. the immobiliser light doesnt come on so is this the prob? my key is secondhand and lacks a battery or button could this be it? no sign of shorts or loose connections
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
The entire problem is the key if there is no chip in the key. Need the correct key first . Also if you need to get a key then you need to have it programmed from a mobile locksmith or dealers scanner . This is the first step. Also the starter could have shorted out. Make sure terminals are secure and new and no blown fuses . These are the Ned steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm confused, how come the car used to start ok? is it just that the battery had been off and the immobiliser is programmed to cut in after a power outageor what?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok is a deferent key correct from the last time it started?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah, same key, the car came with another but that only ever opened the door and doesnt work the ignition despite looking identical. i guess i can trygetting a fob battery. thats the joy of ten year old citroens, ive never yet had one where the fob buttons worked!
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok try this . Disconnect the battery both terminals . Insert the key in the ignition turn to on position where the radio would work reconnect the battery see if it starts. If it does it ok. If not then change the battery and see if that helps.If there is still an issue then have the fuses checked and make sure not battery acid got on the wiring harness.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks again, tried that but no joy. just noticed the tachometer (rev counter) is jammed on the top stop as if it were doing the speed of sound! this went crazy when i first reconnected the battery...is it bust (i dont care) or a clue to the problem?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like there is a wire issue either bad ground or something was damaged when the battery leaked acid. These I would check next . Possible even a blown fuse . I would start here next . Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the battery didnt leak, indeed it seems to be ok, i replaced it cos i thought it was fried and unable to turn the starter. the breakdown happened after 200 miles driving, i stopped for a cold one and there was a strange sound, sort of futtering when i restarted..no sign of starter problem. ithink this sound was the terminal starting to melt. since nothing waqs visible i dropped the hood and drove on about half a mile when the electrics failed and then the engine stopped. weather fine and no reason to think a poor earth had just occured, theyre all tight anyway. i'm suspicious that the starter doesnt make any noise at all, which makes me think no power is being supplied or, as you say, a poor earth.the haynes manual has no fuses listed on the starter circuit. i'm just going to pull the fuses on the tacho tosee if i can get it to behave...eny further thoughts gratefully accepted..sorry this is a complex one!!!!
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
No problem if you have someone crank over the vehicle and there are power and ground to the starter the starter is bad . Unwound check all connections and fuses to be sure . Could just be a shorted starter which is common. These are the next steps . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah, dodgy starter was something i thought about, since the prob started just after a restart...and it was a hot day and i'd been driving fast so everything was warm, if the starter wasgoing, the extra drain on the battery could have tipped the dorgy terminal into meltdown at the same time...methinks that could be a good line of enquiry , holmes! thanks for all the help and ideas to try...looks like a workshop job to me so i'll have to let them work it out. cheers XXXXX XXXXX chum
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Anytime positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.