32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience

Ford: only blowing..blowing hot air..the heater control valve

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Ford Ka.

My heater is only blowing hot air even when set to cold, have changed the heater control valve for a brand new one, Ford suggested changing the control panel - have done this but still have the problem. Any more ideas/suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  32dmadden replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
32dmadden :

It sounds like the air temp blend door is stuck in the hot position. Has any one looked at the motor that moves the door? It is probably bad.

32dmadden :

It is located under the dash on the HVAC box.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is the HVAC box?
Expert:  32dmadden replied 6 years ago.
It is the large box below the dash that the vents come from. I'm in the U.S. so don't have a manual that I can tell you exactly where it is. I believe it will be on the left side of the box. HVAC stands for heat and A/C. I'm not sure if the motor is electric or vacuum operated but check to see you have a signal when you move the cool to heat lever or knob. You can use a voltmeter if it is a electric or a test light. If it is vacuum use a vacuum gauge or just use your finger to see if there is suction. It has to be running for the vacuum check.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will get a garage to have a quick look when my car goes in next week for other problems I have. Will then get back to you.
Expert:  32dmadden replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
still no luck, putting it on hold for a while since it won't be much of a problem with winter coming up, getting everything else sorted for now.
Expert:  32dmadden replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if you need more help. Thanks for the accept.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Cheers XXXXX XXXXX help - sorry for taking so long to reply, but after a lot of hard searching I think I may have found the problem, whoever owned the car before me upgraded the engine from a 1300cc to a 1600cc. They also upgraded the dash to the sportka dash. Have also found that one out of the two wires connected to the HCV is not connected to the heater control panel. Will sort out one weekend and get back to you if this solves the problem.