Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

rebuilt set of heads, new lifters,timing chain and gears, carb..coil

Hello: I still have a slight back firing though the carb at around 3000 rpm? This is a 1986 4.3 lt Cobra, I installed a rebuilt set of heads, new lifters,timing chain and gears, carb, points, condensor, coil, sparks plugs and wires etc. The compression is good, fuel pump is good, it has 20 inches of vaccum at idle runs smooth, starts well. The weights in the distributor are clean and lubed, they seem to work fine, because I can see the timing mark advance with the timimg light when I rev it up. Why is it still back firing though carb?????????

P.S. There is a slight bit of play in the distributor shaft and bushing????????
Your thoughts Please??
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

if you are sure the carb is good.....

remove the valve covers and look at the rockers,start the engine and look at the rockers...make sure they all move the same..if not you may have a worn cam shaft

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP