jan73
jan73, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 7 years of european high-line car experience
1689875

lift..braking..rings and blown the lines with no change

Customer Question

Hi Guys ...have a 1997 HSE (138,000 K's - no off road) and have a few problems :

1) Suspension Problem...the car goes down overnight and particularly on the front right (facing the vehicle). When starting it up of a morning it takes @ 3-5 minutes usually to lift up (driving forward braking & backward a few times seems to speed it up) and then it is right for the rest of the day. Have had ex RR service guys look at it (no service agents in our area) and they have pulled the suspension valve block and replaced o-rings and blown the lines with no change. Recently took north to service dealer and they said it needed a new valve block (the lot - 4 ...$3,000 +!!!) even though only one is playing up. Do you guys have any suggestions

2) Grinding Noise In Steering Wheel...seems to occur most notably when turning left.

3) Cruise Control ...was working until taking car to the ex RR service guys...collected and drove north next day, hit the cruise when on the open hiway and no go! North RR service guys ran out of time and didn't get to fix!!!...had to head back that evening so had to take car back, however even though they told me they didn't get time to investigate thoroughly, I hit the cruise on the way out of the town and it worked ...once!...on breaking, it cancelled, not to work again.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Thankyou,
Mark
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

Would you be interested in replacing this air system to the conventional spring system .

Professional system and inexpensive

then you would not have any expensive repairs with this system anymore .

These are known for the Rovers to be a money pit after 5-7 years

Need further assistance Just ask.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Greg,

Re: "Would you be interested in replacing this air system to the conventional spring system" ...

Not at all... have had this idea given many times but one automatically loses the height adjust ability that defeats a big feature of these cars...I have the height adjust on my LX470 and we use it regularly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No suggestions as to fixing the problem other than what I gave?

How about the other questions?

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi

With the Lexus system i can understand they have the best system on the market
and last long .

The land rover is a pain for braking down and big bucks to keep running .

Ok i understand you would like to keep it it is a Very nice ride .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the drivers control switch is the XXXXX XXXXXghts flashing ,how many from the 4 XXXXX XXXXXght are on and flashing.

Good first This sounds like a air leak in the system ,the air tubes on the side of the wheel inner wing you will see where the air tubes route to the suspension this you should check first with soapy water from connection to connection.

Also common is the air bags them self, use lots of soapy water on these ,wait till its in the highest possition for best access take your time this will be a small leak.

Marked in red are the typical leak areas

graphic

Try this first then let me know what you find if no leaks and i will assists you

Kind regards Greg
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi.
Did this work out or do you need further assistance . .

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As advised in my intro, all the lines & bags were checked and were fine and it was narrowed down to the valve block (one) which (as I advised) they said could not be replaced separately & the 4 would cost @$3,000+

Nothing on the other items?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still waiting for response...it's now been 4 days.
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Your mail did not reach me for some reason ,
I will have to let another good expert help you on this one , please wait one will be hear shortly
Expert:  jan73 replied 4 years ago.
Could you provide the fault codes and descriptions they found in the suspension control system?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No...would have to get from Land Rover Service dealer and I would be very surprised if they released them to me or a 3rd party but I can try. All they said after scanning the system was that it was as I mentioned in intro.
Expert:  jan73 replied 4 years ago.
If they charged you for getting the fault codes, they MUST tell you what they were. It's the law.
I would need the code in order to give you any advice. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will call them and advise.
Expert:  jan73 replied 4 years ago.
OK. let us know pls.