RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master 35 years

Element: oil change..#, the oil filter cap broke as I..bolt..oil light

Customer Question

I've just done an overdue oil change on my zafira (z18xe1 engined#, the oil filter cap broke as I tried to undo it and I ended up having to pull the plastic cap of the filter elment to one side so I could access the 12mm hex bolt at the back of the fix housing so I could remove the whole unit and get the remains of the broken cap off, I cleaned and dried the whole unit in the kitchen sink #much to the wifes annoyance) and then refitted to the car, new filter, new cover and fresh oil, started the car and the oil light now comes on and stays on untill you give it about 2000 rpm, the old oil filter was quite badly broken up inside and I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions before I remove the engine and completely dissassemble, clean and rebuild?
Category: Car
Expert:  RD replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA!

If you had oil pressure before removing the filter housing then there is something wrong with the old filter housing. if you put it in the wrong position you lose your oil pressure,there should be a peg to locate it if the peg gets damaged when installing the housing the housing will need to be replaced,

Let me know if i can help more