GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

My vehicle was clamped whilst I was in it taking an emergency

Customer Question

My vehicle was clamped whilst I was in it taking an emergency telephone call and the engine was running. The telephone call was as I explained to the "clamper" from my wife informing me that her father was being rushed to hospital and could I return home immediately. The whole incident took only a couple of minutes and the "clamper" stooped and crawled alongside the car to place the clamp in position. Despite speaking to the "clamper" I had no alternative but to pay the £150. demanded in order that I could continue my journey. I wrote to the company (Direct Parking Management) immediately on 6th November 2010 and again on 1st December 2010 and only received a reply last Friday 27th August 2010 after chasing them for a response. The road where the incident took place was a feeder road leading to a public highway from an hotel car park where I had been to a meeting and was just outside the exit barrier. I would appreciate your comments.
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

I will be honest with you because that is the only way to approach this. First this is not the kind of question most would answer because there is no way to give you good news. I will answer but Please understand I am being honest and offering a non biased opinion.

Part of me agrees with you that the clamper should have been more sympathetic to your situation, the other understands why the clamper continued. While I do not know you or the clamper, I am willing to bet that people have used any number of emergencies or issues to avoid the fee/fine.the Again, this is not to say your situation was not valid, but looking at it from the outside, I can understand both sides.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, but I feel that it is the truth.