Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

I bought a used 1996 Mazda Protege. My remote entry key fob

I bought a used 1996 Mazda Protege. My remote entry key fob doesn't work. I disconnected the battery, and when I reconnected it, the alarm went off. Now I can't disable the alarm, or start the car.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

First lock and then unlock the passengers door
should switch the system off ,

If this does not work Just ask for assistance
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I got to the car, it was unlocked. I locked it with the key, and unlocked it, multiple times, and it didn't help. I got in the car and manually locked and unlocked, again no help. I put the key in the ignition and manually locked and unlocked, again no help.

The alarm continued to sound while I was doing all of this, then just quit after timing out (about 60 seconds)

Any other ideas?

Hi .

Ok lets try this system

1. Remove key from ignition.
  2. Close all doors.
  3. Open driver side door and leave open.
  4. Perform the following steps within 24 seconds.
    a. Insert key in ignition.
    b. Turn key to ON and OFF.
    c. Repeat step b two more times.
    d. Remove key.
    e. Push driver door frame button three times (black rubber button located on driver door frame that tell the vehicle whether or not door is closed.)

5. Buzz sound, chime or doors will lock and unlock should be heard at this point signaling that the vehicle is now in
programming mode. If not, wait 40 seconds and return to step 4.

6. All transmitters need to be programmed at this time, including the old ones. Push any button on the transmitter
two times. A buzz sound, chime or doors locking and unlocking should be heard at this point signaling that the
vehicle has accepted the new transmitter code. If there is only one transmitter, repeat this step two more times
using the only transmitter. If there are two transmitters, repeat this step two more times using the second
transmitter.

7. Push driver door frame button one time. Two buzz sounds, chimes or doors locking and unlocking 2 times should
be heard at this point signaling successful programming.

Let me know what happens

If this does not work then i suspect that you have an aftermarket alarm system .

These system are not what one needs in there car when they get old best remove .and connect all original cables as was .

Regards Greg

Edited by Greg on 9/1/2010 at 4:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No luck. I'd be happy to remove it if I were sure it wouldn't harm anything. Currently the starter is disabled because of the alarm condition.

I assume that it's a factory install, but perhaps not. The transmitter FCC ID is ELVAL777A, which is an audiovox ID. The transmitter has a label on the front (which had been obscurred by some tape), that reads 'Pursuit'.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It turns out it was an aftermarket install, and the only way to disable it was by putting it into 'valet' mode. I finally got an answer from the Mazda dealership.

Thanks for your help.

Good i knew it was an aftermarket.

So you don't have future problems with this alarm have it replaced or just removed

When these alarms go off, no one take attention to them nowadays just a wast of time and money.

Kind regards Greg