Problem Solver
Problem Solver, ASE Master Techinician
Experience:  28 Years feild experince in automotive repairs, Driveability Expert, ASE Master Tech.
29247937

2006 Dodge: is making a clicking noise when idling..quite noticeable

My 2006 Dodge Status is making a clicking noise when idling. I notice it if I am in my car next to a building (such as a fast food drive up). It was getting quite noticeable when I was driving tonight - not just idling. I filled the gas tank and did not hear it while driving after that (coincidence)?

The car has 45,000 miles on it. have also noticed very poor gas mileage of late.
Thank you
HI, the timming belts on these motors tends to start to fray and smack the timing belt cover. the noise alwasy strats out fan and grows lounder. You can check this by removing the upper bolts on the timing cover and prying it gentely forward and looking at the conditon of the belt.

Edited by Problem Solver on 9/1/2010 at 3:07 AM EST