Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

that could unexpectedly go wrong.It drives..older vehicles due

So I am considering having additional work done on this car and there really is not alot more that could unexpectedly go wrong.

It drives great and I got 245K out of the 1st engine.

I understand nothing is guaranteed but I feel this car is a good one to invest in.

My question is : Do you see alot of people maintaining and investing in older vehicles due to less complicated issues technologically speaking? Or in your opinion is it smarter to by a newer vehicle and save the repair bills vs monthly car payments?

P.S. - The mechanic is a friend of mine who has never steered me wrong and gives me breaks all the time.

I assume this is on the Audi.

On the question of people keeping cars longer, I see that they are for a couple of reasons: less maintenance costs for older cars than new ones that require speciality fluids and parts, and they dont have as many issues as new cars have with all their new technology. Personally, I believe the automotive industry has gone overboard on some of the new technology in cars. This would have been better spent in new technology for better gas mileage and reliability instead of new bells and whistles.

Now, on the question of maintaining an older car versus new car payments. I think where alot of people go wrong is thinking of a large repair bill on an older car as just in terms of the bill due right then and there. If you take a longer range view and for example, break a $2400 repair bill over 12 months time, although alot of money to pay right then, it comes out to $200 per month over the next year. Where can you get a new car for $200 per month. So if you look at the costs spread over longterm like a car note, you are financially better off maintaining an older car than buying a new one.

Edited by Eric on 9/1/2010 at 12:10 AM EST