Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

2001 Cadillac: hill..the car started loosing power..trip

Customer Question

thanks for all the help i received from Just Answer for my 2001 Cadillac DTS. on my way to Canada with my wife, going up the hill the car shift in the passing gear, the temp went up and the car started loosing power. we had to get it towed back home(canceled that trip).i drove it to the dealer and they said that the head gasket cracked. they are asking for $10,000.00 to put in a new motor. do any one have any suggestions that can help me (I Love My Cadi)?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

well....you could remove the heads,have a machine shop check them for cracks,resurface them and new head gaskets,no need to replace the complete engine for blown head gaskets,..you should be able to get this done by an independent mechanic for around $1700..

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Cylinder Head

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

Left Side

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Exhaust manifold Alternator Water crossover Intake manifold Valve cover Timing cover Secondary camshaft drive chain Power steering return hose retaining bolt from the cylinder head 3 M6 external drive bolts from the front portion of the cylinder head 10 M11 internal drive cylinder head bolts Cylinder head and gasket.
  5. Clean the head mating surfaces.

To install:

FIG : Left cylinder head bolt torque sequence-4.6L engine

image

1. Install the cylinder head with a new gasket. Lubricate the bolts with engine oil prior to installation.
  2. Torque the M11 bolts in sequence as follows:
    1. Step 1: 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm), plus an additional 70 degrees
    2. Step 2: Turn an additional 60 degrees
    3. Step 3: Turn an additional 60 degrees (total 190 degrees)

3. Torque the M6 bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm)
  4. Install or connect the following:

Power steering return hose retaining bolt to the cylinder head and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) Secondary camshaft drive chain Timing cover Valve cover Intake manifold Water crossover Exhaust manifold Negative battery cable
  5. Change the oil and filter.
  6. Fill the cooling system.

Right Side

2. Drain the cooling system.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Exhaust manifold Water crossover Intake manifold Valve cover Timing cover Secondary camshaft drive chain Electrical connector from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor Nut attaching the coil cassette ground wire to the cylinder head Bolt attaching the exhaust crossover pipe to the cylinder head Bolt attaching the right transaxle mount bracket to the cylinder head Bolt attaching the rear transaxle brace to the transaxle Nuts attaching the rear transaxle brace to the cylinder head Rear transaxle brace 3 M6 external drive bolts from the front portion of the cylinder head 10 M11 internal drive cylinder head bolts Cylinder head and gasket
  5. Clean the head mating surfaces.

To install:

FIG : Right cylinder head bolt torque sequence- 4.6L engine

image

• Install the cylinder head with a new gasket. Lubricate the bolts with engine oil prior to installation.
  • Torque the M11 bolts in sequence as follows:
    1. Step 1: 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm), plus an additional 70 degrees.
    2. Step 2: Turn an additional 60 degrees.
    3. Step 3: Turn an additional 60 degrees (total 190 degrees).

• Torque the M6 bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
  • Install or connect the following:

Rear transaxle brace over the studs located at the rear of the right cylinder head Nuts attaching the rear transaxle brace to the cylinder head, loosely Bolts attaching the rear transaxle braces to the transaxle and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) Nuts attaching the rear transaxle brace to the cylinder head and tighten 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) Electrical connector to the ECT sensor Bolt attaching the exhaust crossover pipe to the cylinder head and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm) Nut attaching the coil cassette ground wire to the cylinder head and tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm) Secondary camshaft drive chain Timing cover Valve cover Intake manifold Water crossover Exhaust manifold Negative battery cable
  • Change the oil and filter.
  • Fill the cooling system.