Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
1609972

Engine Cooling problem 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue 6 cyl Front

Customer Question

Engine Cooling problem 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 174000 miles car has been sitting up for approximately year and a half. replaced water pump, thermostat, new reservoir cap, flushed and pressurized system, flushed radiator. was told its a small leak between engine and firewall maybe freeze plug, not enough to cause problem, car still overheating when idling or driving, was told it might have air in it, lifted up on reservoir side still overheating. fans working but its blowing cold air, no coolant is going through engine. engine temperature was 246°, water pump 112°, thermostat 90°, its no mix off oil\anti-freeze. was told it might have an pin hole in head gasket so ask for a pressure test at dealer, its no more oldsmobile dealers took to an pontiac dealer last year who did the pressure test and flush, what can i do now at a lost.
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

If you are sure the Thermostat is correct, installed correctly & there is no collapsed Radiator hoses:

You need to have a Reputable Radiator Shop perform a Gas & Pressure Test to see if the System has a Internal Leak.
Head Gasket leak near a Cylinder can cause high pressure in the Cooling System & stop the flow of coolant or back it up out the Expansion Tank.
Thermostat is set to fully open at 206 degrees

Please accept my answer if it has been helpful.
Regardless of the terms of your Just Answer account, I only get paid for my answer and effort by your accept