Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Name of the part located right behind ignition lock cylinder?

Customer Question

what is the name of the part located right behind ignition lock cylinder?
it turns when you move the key
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
That is the electrical part of the ignition switch . These are known to short out. Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no not the ignition switch i need to know the name of the part in between the ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
The ignition cylinder goes right into the electrical part of the switch these are the only 2 parts . What's the problem you are having?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in my truck there is a piece of metal part that goes in beteen the 2 parts and it has broken and i need to buy a new one but don't know the name of it so i am having trouble
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
That is part of the if ignition cylinder itself . What is the issue starts then stalls , key will not turn. Can you post a picture of the piece you need .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i had to drill out old ignition lock cylinder because i had lost the keys to the truck and while i was doing so the part broke
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok that's not a separate part that's part of the ignition switch itself . That parts not available separate . So you reader the cylinder then not the actual switch ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is a separate part that controls the steering wheel lock mechanism in between the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition switch
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes the part that gets attached to the column and controls the steering lock is part of the complete ignition switch . The cylinder and electrical part you can get separate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what do you mean complete ignition switch?
-because i have the ignition lock cylinder out
-the ignition switch in the back is off
-and there is a metal part in between the 2 that controls the locking mechanism and it is broke
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes that's the part that gets attached to the steering column that locks the wheel correct ? That would be complete ignition switch that includes the electrical part and the cylinder all one piece. You can not get the ignition switch lock separate unless possibly from a salvage yard .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i looked for it online and the ignition switch DOES Not come with the part i need
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes that's shows just the electrical part . You want the ignition switch body that connects to the steering column . If this is what you are looking for the correct name is XXXXX XXXXX switch body and an auto parts store or dealer should have this . Also any local salvage yard you can get it from. This is the part location I described correct?