Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician

my 2003..it warms up it stalls when not under load

I just replaced the the fuel pump on my 2003 chev avala. now it runs like crap and my oil gauge is maxing out. the truck runs fine than when it warms up it stalls when not under load
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dan :

Hello

Dan :

How did the truck run before you replaced the pump?

Dan :

Same way?

Dan :

Has the service engine soon light come on?

Customer :

I took the truck into a garage and was told I needed a new fuel pump. (the truck just stalled while driving on the highway and wouldn't start again) So I replaced the fuel pump. Then it wouldn't keep running unless your foot is on the gas and for some reason the oil gauge is reading max. I have checked the oil and it seems fine. After a couple of days, the truck no longer stalls. I am thinking that maybe there was some stuff in the lines? But the oil gauge is still reading max? Any ideas as to why that would be? What would changing the fuel pump have to do with the oil gauge? Thanks for the help.

Customer :

Oh, I forgot. No, the service engine light has not come on.

Dan :

The fuel pump would not have anything to do with the oil gage

Dan :

You have either a cluster issue or a bad sender

Dan :

Both are common issues

Dan :

how many miles on the truck?

Customer :

82000 about

Customer :

so it is just a coincidence that it happened at the same time?

Dan :

to check the cluster, you need a scan too to sweep the gage from low to high. GM had a policy on them for up to 80,000 miles. If the cluster sweeps ok, replace the sender.

Dan :

Hard to explain why it started at the same time

Dan :

most of the time if the neddle goes all the way down when you turn the truck off, the oil pressure sender is bad

Customer :

I am so sorry. I wrote the Km's that are on my other truck. This one has about 142000

Customer :

ok. That is what it does. It goes all the way down when off and maxs out when on.

Customer :

Thanks

Dan :

These senders is not easy to replace

Dan :

thay are behind the intake

Dan :

on the drivers side

Dan :

with thin arms and a socket with a swivel you can replace it in a half hour

Customer :

would a Hanes manual on the truck show how to replace it?

Dan :

Not sure, I can send you some instructions if needed

Customer :

that would be great thanks

Customer :

do you still have my email?

Dan :

give me a minute and I will give you a PDF file here.

Customer :

ok

Dan :

Ok click here

Dan :

a 1 1/16" socket or a 1 1/8" socket will fit on it, I cant remember which one

Dan :

A chrome one not an impact socket

Customer :

ok. Thanks for the help.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician