JacobTD
JacobTD, Mechanic
Experience:  12 Years First hand
19108227

1990 Toyota Camry: I disconnect the battery..crank..relay assembly

Customer Question

My 1990 Toyota Camry battery shows 10 volts, but this drops to 3 volts when I try to start. When I disconnect the battery and try jump-starting from another car, the other car's battery behaves the same way---drops from its normal 12 volts to 3 or 4! Again, not enough to crank.
Could my digital voltmeter be fooling me? Or could there be a current-sapping short circuit in the Camry's starter-and-relay assembly?
Any advice would be very welcome.
Thanks, Felix
Category: Car
Expert:  JacobTD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
JacobTD :

well, Your on the right path

JacobTD :

Your batt is DEAD! Try removing the batt from other car, and installing in Toyota. If you are using small jumper cabels... Not much power. If a known Batt is installed and still the drop then you have EX draw from starter motor. In this case, a new starter would be needed.

JacobTD :

Await your reply

JacobTD :

?

Customer :

I finally found your answer. Don't know why the web site sent me around in circles for an hour, with 'view your answer' just sending me back to my question.

Customer :

That voltage drop from the other car's battery was what I measured at the Toyota, i.e. at the dead car's end of the cables. I had 12 volts coming in

Customer :

Sorry I didn't know end of line ended the message. ....12 volts coming in, dropping to 3 or 4 when I turned the Toyota's key. Doesn't that mean the small cables aren't the reason? And might it have made any difference if I'd had the other car's engine on, idling away, when it was supplying battery power? Incidentally the other car is a Toyota Prius (hybrid), I'm using that dinky little auxiliary battery in its trunk.