Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1992 Honda Accord. Starts but stalls in seconds. Fuel pump

Customer Question

1992 Honda Accord.
Starts but stalls in seconds. Fuel pump is delivering fuel to fuel injector rack.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

what engine do you have?when it dies..will it start right back up?do you have a spark after it dies?

Customer :

2.2 engine.

Customer :

Yes, it starts everytime, but stalls within Seconds.

Customer :

I'll check the spark question.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

does it start right up..or do you need to wait?

Customer :

Starts immediately. Timing appears to be good.

Customer :

#1spark plug is very loose. No snap at all. I'm working on that right now.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

does it only do this when the engine is hot?

Customer :

Haven't been there. Engine is cold.

Customer :

We are in 85 dry heat heat in my garage

tims auto repair :

ok..sense you still have fuelpresure at the rail..i woul think you may be loosing spark...a common problem is the ignition module inside the distributer,,,auto zone and most parts stores can test these if you take it out and take it to them

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair : 1992 Honda Accord 2.2L FI 4cyl

The Control Module-Ignition is located:
Under hood, passenger side, front engine area, below valve cover, mounted in distributor

Customer :

If I accept this and this does not fix it.

Customer :

How do I know you will be there to continue with me?

Customer :

We this cost me more each time we try something else?

Customer :

Fuel Regulator is stuck. No flow when under 30 lbs of pressure. Applied small vacuum and still no flow.

Customer :

Applied wd40 and we have flow.

Customer :

I'm going to put it back.

Customer :

I tested the Ignition ignitor in distributor and nothing is checking out per the manual.

Customer :

No voltage to the ignition unit wire. Does the clutch need to be down?

Customer :

1. Remove the distributor cap, the rotor and the inner cover.

1. Disconnect the BLK/YEL, LT GRN, YEL/GRN and BLU wires from the igniter unit.

2. Turn the ignition switch ON and check for battery voltage between the BLK/YEL wire and body ground. If there is no battery voltage, check the BLK/YEL (YEL) wire between the ignition switch and the igniter unit. If there is battery voltage proceed to step 4.

3. Turn the ignition switch ON and check for battery voltage between the LT GRN wire and body ground. If there is no battery voltage check the ignition coil for proper operation or for an open circuit on the LT GRN (BLK/WHT) wire between the ignition coil and the igniter unit. If there is battery voltage proceed to step 5.

4. Check the YEL/GRN wire between the PGM-FI ECU and the igniter unit.

5. Check the BLU wire between the tachometer and the igniter unit.

6. If all tests are normal, replace the igniter unit.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

sorry coming a storm here,,computer is off and on

tims auto repair :

the igniter may be breking down when it gets hot

tims auto repair :

take it to the parts store...let them put it on their machine...it will tell if it is or int bad

tims auto repair :

Customer :

Problem was the ignition switch. Thanks anyway.

tims auto repair :

ok...glad you got it..thanks