Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

My 1999 Isuzu Trooper had check engine light constantly coming

My 1999 Isuzu Trooper had check engine light constantly coming on . the serpentine belt broke and every since it was repaired the TOD light flashes . I took it to Aamco and they stated I needed a new transmission. they replaced it on 8/6/10 and I picked it up and it was still not taking off in drive well and still not transitioning and all the same ligths started flashing as soon as I got further down the road. I called back and they told me that they needed to work on the harness that was messing with the TPS sensor. I said. no way and took it to a Japanese car specialist that stated that they we wired the harness and cleared all the check lights and TOD lights. I paid them $185.00 and as soon as I got near my home the lights came back on and the car was still not taking off in drive well , and not shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. So it was not the transmission, it was not the TPS sensor, it was not the harness wiring and I barely made it home today. I had to drive in Low. I personally think it has something to do with theXXXXX because the green two wheel drive used to come on before the serpintine belt broke, now the XXXXXnor the green lights come on only the TOD red check light flashing fast. Please, please somebody help me. I can not affor a new car nor can I afford to keep trying different things to get this fixed...
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
What's the code number that's stored it will be a p0172 type code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The codes that the mechanic pulled up was PQ133 or PO133-02 sensor, codes 14,24,28,35 transfer case, . I think myXXXXXmay be the problem. Should the Level be on HIGH or pushed up in the 4L position. When I push theXXXXXbutton the TOD ligh will go off for a few minutes. But then comes back on. I cannot drive to work tomorrow, because it barely made it home. The Japanese mechanic told me to bring the car back on Monday. because all the check engine lights and TOD or back on. and it is not picking up in drive. barely moving.but will go in Low. and the transmission was just rebuilt last week......
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Ok honestly sounds like the rebuild was done incorrectly ? Have they gone over there work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it went back a couple of times because they could not figure out where the oil was going. The Japanese expert stated yesterday the engine was running fine. So did the Aamco guys....They re wired entire harness because the Throttle Positioning sensor was supposely the problem. Then Aamco said it was the Harness and I took it to the Isuzu specialist...who stated it was not working. Why won't the TOD stop flashing... I beleive that my car has been driving inXXXXXand that may be the problem... What is the code PO172 you asked me about?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
You don't have that code stored correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure what you are stating.Or you saying this is a code that the mechanics should be looking for? Does this have something to do with theXXXXXor the TPS ?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
No it was just an example . Your issue is most likely Electronic faulty throttle body or ECM . Could also be a poor ground faulty transfer case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They just replaced Put a new Throttle Positioning sensor on for $150.00 after they rebuilt the transmission stated that was why it was still not shifting from 1st to second correctly. They told me they had fixed it and on the ride home it started driving the exact same way as when I took it. That's why I know it is not the transmission. The guy at A plus trnsmission told me that I did not need a transmission but someone to work on the codes that they pulled up... Is there anyone that has had this problem that you can communicate with, I am at my wits end?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Ok let me do a little research tomorrow it's most likely a harness issue or computer issue will post my findings tomorrow . Hang in there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok but remember this is what the Japanese mechanics stated on the receipt. Scan returned multiple codes related to TPS, cleaned TPS, repaired wiring harness and cleaned Throttle Body. Vehicle engine runs normally now and no longer sets TPS codes, but Automatic Transmission slips and shudders when accelerating from idle. Since ATM was recently overhauled at another shop, suggest return for warranty repairs. Also needs front brakes soon. . I will wait tomorrow to see what you find out Shirley
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Ok then the rebuild was done incorrectly and needs to be done correctly . You would win in court if they do not fix it correctly that would be the next step then if the TPS is fixed. This is the next step. Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am needing to know the transmission was not the issue. the car was driving the exact same way before the transmission was rebuilt supposely last week. That's what I told the Japanese mechanices as well. Aamco is staing it is not a transmission problem but a harness wiring problem. The Japanes mechanic shop fixed the wiring and I am stating it is still driving the same as previously. that's why I am stating it can not be the transmission....Can you please check with some of your co workers and see what you can find out tomorrow?

Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Ok still very well can be the transmission . Will double check and get back to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good morning, did you have an opportunity to talk with someone about the trooper? I also asked you about theXXXXXlever. Should it always stay in the High position? I stated to you when I hit theXXXXXbutton at the top the TOD light will go off for about a few miles, and then it will come back on and start flashing again. When Aamco stated it has an engine harness problem. They said the harness startrs on the drivers side of the vehicle travels over the valve cover. The harness has a short in it that is affecting the TP sensor. Well this is when I took it to the Japanese mechanices and they stated they fixed all the codes, however the car is still driving the exact same way.before the rebuilt of the transmission and after....and after the harness wiring has been fixed...The TOD light still flashing...as I stated I had to put the car in low to drive home and shift it to 2nd yesterday..
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Yes there is a bulletin on the main engine harness shorting out causing these issues . Then need to check the entire engine harness .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is a bulletin ?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Is a document stating there are issues with certain vehicles with this same issue from the factory.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So did the document state how they fixed those issues ?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Yes they had to replace the main engine harnesses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does this mean they have to take the entire engine apart, or is this just a part that can be purchased? If so do you know about how much it would cost to purchase and what the stimate would be to install. What is the function of engine harness?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
No taking the engine apart just the harness . Part is about 500 labor 4 hours. This controls each sensor and signal to the ECU the main computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you for your assistance. I will pass on this information to the mechanics. Now how will I get bill, and how much will I get billed for your help?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
All you need to is click the green accept button and you then can add a bonus if you would like. You deposited 17.00 so that's the charge if you click the green accept.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician