George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

2006 suzuki forenza: that needs a timing belt..dealership..models

i have a 2006 suzuki forenza that needs a timing belt. The suzuki dealership has told me that they do not replace the belts on these models because of the internal damage that IS ALWAYS caused by this situation. The service rep told me they just put a new engine in them...does this sound right?
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Did the belt break?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know...the tech said that in order to get to it he would need to charge me a few hrs labor. He suspects that it is the timing belt since he is not getting any compression.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

If there is not compression the belt will need to be checked. You can hear the difference when cranking the engine between the engine when it had compression and if it has failed. There will be a distinct "wheezing" sound.

If the belt has broken this is an interference engine so there will be valve damage. I have rebuilt some of these heads and while not cheap it is less expensive than a new engine. If there is valve damage there is a chance the valves damaged a piston and in that case you would be better off installing a used engine that you can find through car-part.com

Do you have any warranty left? How many miles?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The engine will not start so i can't listen for a difference. He indicated that that is also NOT a good sign....

As for the warrantee, it expired at 60K and the car has just over 61K...Go Figure...

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

You CAN crank the engine though? I assume that this is how you know it will not start. While you were cranking the engine did it sound like it is "wheezing" rather than the normal sound of it cranking?

If you purchased this vehicle new it has a 7 year 100,000 mile drive train warranty. The timing belt is to be replaced at 60,000 miles so you may get an adjustment form the dealer if you ask nicely. Maybe you buy the parts and they pay the labor.

Let me know about what I can do to help you. I cannot hear the sound so I don't know how much damage but it will only take an hours labor to find out if the engine is totaled or if something else so you will have to stand for that charge so you can know the extent of the problem but if it is covered under the warranty the hour will be rolled into that coverage.

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist