GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

My oil gauge intermitanly goes to the red line and my alarms go

Customer Question

My oil gauge intermitanly goes to the red line and my alarms go off and my computor says oil is low. I have had the trck checked in several locations by qualified G.M. Mechanics and they all say no problem. I have had the oil changed twice way before it had to be and at one point after a discussion with a mechanic on where should I start to correct the problem I had the OIL SENDING UNIT changed. When this happens my cooling systems are all normal. A G.M. Technichian at Champion Motors in Trail had my truck for a week and put 5 hours on and off and couldn't find a thing even after driving it back and forth to work. In all these situations the alarms are momentary. I should would like this problem to go away as I rally like my truck and I pull 35 foot 5th wheel [ 6 tons ].
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedbac

GM Tech (Cam) :

k. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

GM Tech (Cam) :

What is the year, model and engine please?

Customer:

04 Silverado Duramax

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, how often does this happen?

Customer:

PU

GM Tech (Cam) :

How often does it happen?

Customer:

Without my trailer not very often. With my trailer it could be once or twice aday or several times ther is no set pattern but more often under load.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, if the wiring is good and the sensor is good, this could be something with the oil pump drive

GM Tech (Cam) :

The gear is driven by the timing set, but there is no key on the shaft so if for some reason that was not tight enough the oil pump drive could slip.

Customer:

Thank you. I will be seeing my dealer today. I have asked about the oil pump several times with other Technicians. How do I get back to you?

GM Tech (Cam) :

You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is not common for the pump drive to fail, but it does happen the odd time.