Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My temperature gage stays on cold and the temperature is very

Customer Question

My temperature gage stays on cold and the temperature is very hot. Also with this the transmission clunks when it shifts. Got any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Hopkins replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA, when you say the temperature is hot, do you mean the coolant temperature or the air outside?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I mean the outside temperature is 95 degrees.
Ok, the temperature guage in the car stays in the cold position, correct? Have you checked to see if you have any heat coming from the heater? We may be looking at a stuck thermosthat here?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes there is heat. It is the clunking in the transmission when it shifts accelerating and slowing that worries me.
Ok, has it overheated on you yet? Have you checked the trans fluid? How many miles are on this vehicle, and lastly, when was the last time the trans fluid was changed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has 127k and no I haven't had it overheat.
what is the maintenance like on this vehicle, have the fluids been regularly changed, or is it a drive it til something breaks car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it has been regularly maintained.

This temperature guage that stays on cold, it is the one for the engine correct? In the dash?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thanks for your time, I'll just take it to a local mechanic. It doesn't sound like it has a regularly expected connection. Probably two different items happening on hot days.

Thanks,

ok