George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

2006 Hyundai Tiburon: Im thinking..50k miles..(will test drive it

I'm thinking of buying a 2006 Hyundai Tiburon, 50k miles, which is supposedly functioning well (will test drive it tomorrow or the next day). The bluebook value is >$11k, but the selling price is $8900. What do I need to be wary of? The dealer will supply the Carfax report and says it's VA safety-inspected. A friend said the price discrepancy may be due to flood damage, which may be ok now but manifest later in the electrical system. If that is the case, what are the special concerns? Any guidance would be great. I would like to be armed with questions before I go to the dealership. Thanks!

Hello I will help you with your question,

The price may be due to the maintainence that is coming due. At 60 K the timing belt needs to be replaced and the front brakes generally wear out at that time. The vehicle is 5 years old so the coolant needs to be flushed, the transmission flushed and the spark plugs need changing.

There is nothing special that wears out or fails with these vehicles, normal maintainence will keep them running well past 200K. You can look for water damage under the dash there would be a water line or if you pull the carpet back the jute pad on the back is impossible to dry without removing the complete interior or replacing the pad.

If the water got to the level of the console you would expect the airbag computer and the wiring harness to need to be replaced. Does the Carfax show more than one owner? Do you know the first owner? Maybe a rental company?

The clutch can be a problem if it is not driven gingerly. To replace the clutch disk is a $1800 job so check the feel.

I would suggest spending an hour in an independent shop have a prepurchase inspection done, it could be the best money you have spent as a trained eye can give you barganing power by finding any hidden damage and you will know the external condition of the vehicle from a through inspection.

Please let me know what further questions you have about this

Thank you