Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

There is a red light flashing on my dash.

There is a red light flashing on my dash. I have had the car for a month and did not see it before. Looks like a car with a padlock. Every 2 seconds. only when the car is off and the key is out. Some say this is normal, others to bring it in. The owners manual is unclear, one section says it will flash when off, another section says it should stop and if it is flashing it is a malfunction. It is a new Mazda 3. Is this normal or a malfunction?
OK does this light go out after setting the alarm?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does not have an alarm per se. It is a security immobilizer system tied into the key. The light blinks constantly when the car is off and the key is out. There is no alarm to set.
OK when you hit the lock button on the key fob does it go out?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. Flashes all the time when the key is not in the ignition. Doors open or locked. You can look in the car from outside and it is flashing. You get in and sit in the car and it is flashing until you put the key in and turn to acc or on.
OK then there is an issue with the immobilizer system and you need to bring it in and have them diagnose the issue.Most common is and ignition switch issue.I would bring it in if it does fail the car will not start and you will be stranded.Its under warranty have them fix it before it becomes a bigger issue.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.