Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue: trying to switch into cruise

Customer Question

My car is a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue. I bought it from a friend in May, who I know has taken great care of it. The car has started jumping every now and then, almost as if it is trying to switch into cruise. I recently made a long distance trip in which I used cruise most of the time, as I approached the city I had to switch to manual. After waiting at the stop lights for a couple of minutes, the car began jumping severally as I drove away. When I gave it gas it seemed to improve. The car was allowed to rest for a few hours and there were no more problems until today, when there were several jumps during the 45 minute trip. Right now I am on vacation and need to know what to do before making my long journey home.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Does this problem seem to happen more at idle or more under acceleration or when at cruise?

Is the check engine light on?

Does the "jumping" seem to be more of a misfire or an engine idle problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It happens more after it has been idling. The engine light is not on. The jumping is more of a misfire.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vacuum line. If there is, the diaphram has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!

Also, when was the last time the engine was tuned up? No, not just plugs, but a full tune up! The whole nine yards! Any part of the secondary ignition will do this including the ignition coil or coils! This sounds like a classic ignition misfire! They usually go bad under a load like under acceleration, but can be noticeable at any time. It is very important to have your engine equipped with good tune up parts or you may be causing damage to other components of you car like the catalytic converter which can be expensive!

Possible causes:

Ignition misfire causes by any bad tune up part and or ignition coil or coils.
Bad spark plugs, spark plug wires and cap and rotor (if equipped)
Wrong tune up parts spark plug, wires etc...

Insulator cracks.
Wear.
Improper gap.
Burned electrodes.
Heavy deposits.

The quickest way to check the ignition components, is by looking closely for leaking secondary voltage. Visual look at all the tune up parts to see if you can see any sparks coming from any of the wires or coil (or coils) when the vehicle is running. If not, you can put your hand on the coil/coils and wires when the engine is running and see if you feel any small voltage leaking form the tune up parts. Check spark plug wires by connecting ohmmeter to ends of each wire in question. If meter reads over 30,000 ohms, replace wire(s).
ALso, with engine running, spray coils and plug wires with fine water mist to check for shorts.

It will leak secondary ignition voltage from the tune up parts caused by high resistance from carbon tracking if they are bad. This is very common if the tune up parts are not changed regularly!

If any is found, the tune up parts are simple bad an will need to be replaced! If none is found than you can spray a mist of water on the tune up parts when the engine is running and see if that causes the engine to stumble or run rough at all. Again, if it does, the tune up parts are bad and will need to be replaced!

Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much Amedee. The car is due for a tune up soon, but think I will take it in sooner. Please can you send your answer to my e-mail address. Thanks again. Angela
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Angela,

I cannot send this answer to your email... but you will get an email from just answer with a link to view this question and answer.