Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Po410 2000 olds 3.5

Customer Question

po410 2000 olds 3.5
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

2000

oldsmobile, intrigue gl 3.5L

135000

3.5L

CK FUSE TO PUMP & RELAY OK

FRONT O2 90.MV-800MV

ok

if the relay is good..the problem may be the air pump itself....these will go bad sometimes...

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

P0410

DESCRIPTION
The control module activates the Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System by grounding both the pump relay and the vacuum control solenoid control circuits simultaneously. This energizes the AIR pump and the vacuum control solenoid. Vacuum is then applied, opening the valves. The pump then forces fresh air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate catalyst operation. The control module will run up to 3 diagnostic tests using the pre-catalyst Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) voltage and Short Term FT to diagnose the system. The system can be diagnosed during normal Secondary Air Injection operation or the control module can activate the system specifically for diagnostic purposes. If an air flow condition is detected, this DTC will set. When inactive, the system prevents air flow in either direction.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• DTCs P0102, P0103, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0125, P0128, P0131, P0132, P0133, P0134, P0135, P0137, P0138, P0140, P0141, P0171, P0172, P0300, P0440, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, P0506, P0507, P1111, P1112, P1114, P1115, P1121, P1122, P1133, or P1134 are not set.
  • The engine run time is more than 10 seconds .
  • The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is between 4.5-110°C (40°F-230°F) .
  • The Mass Air Flow (MAF) is between 2-25 g/s .
  • The ignition voltage is more than 10 volts .
  • The engine speed is more than 800 RPM .
  • The fuel system is operating in DECEL control cell.
  • The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is between 4.5-70°C (40-158°F) .
  • The short term fuel trim is between 0.97 to 1.03.
  • The engine load is between 5-30 percent .
  • The Barometric Pressure (BARO) is above 75 kPa(10.1 psi ).
  • The vehicle speed is more than 40 km/h (25 mph ).

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

• The pre-catalyst HO2S voltage remains above a predetermined lean value during the test.

AND

• The Short Term FT does not increase a calibrated amount during the test.
  • Both conditions above exist for 3 consecutive tests.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The control module illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

If the DTC cannot be duplicated and is determined to be intermittent, reviewing the Failure Records can be useful in determining when the DTC was last set. Also refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Diagrams.

A short to voltage in the pump relay control circuit can result in the AIR pump running continuously with the ignition OFF by backfeeding to ground. This will eventually result in pump failure.

An AIR pump that had become inoperative and had shown indications of having exhaust gases in the outlet port would indicate check valve failure.

TEST

Steps 1-13
Steps 14-29
Steps 30-43