Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
10437779

1998 Lincoln Continental: overheated..traffice on the highway..road

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Lincoln Continental that has never caused me any problems, until recently. It overheated the other day while I was stuck in traffice on the highway. I pulled off the road and killed the engine. After waiting a short while, I removed the radiator cap. It did spew coolant all over the place, and I hot-footed it to the nearest gas station and got two containers (4 quarts each) of 50/50 ready to use coolant and filled the reservoir - actually had a little bit left over. I turned around and headed for home, and kept getting the message Check Engine Temp, and Low Coolant Level. I made it home, and the following day was able to add another 4+ quarts of coolant. However, it still overheats within about 5 miles of driving. Can you offer any assistance?
Category: Car
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Richard :

Did you have the a/c on whne it was running hot? Do you know if the engine cooling fans were coming on?

Customer:

Yes, I did initially have the A/C on; however, I drove back home without the A/C. And, I just went out and checked the cooling fans, and they do appear to be running when the car is on.

Richard :

Ok you most likely have a stuck thermostat. I would start by pressure testing the cooling system to make sure there are no leaks. You can then replace the thermostat and make sure you fill the system properly. Remove the metal cap on the cross over pipe on top of the alternator then fill the reservoir with a 50/50 mix.

Customer:

Alright, I don't know how to pressure test the cooling system. Any suggestions, or should I take it in to a machanic?

Customer:

I have previously filled the coolant reservoir by removing the cap on the square plastic reservoir box-thing. Are you instructing me to fill a different reservoir?

Customer:

I have a friend who knows how to pressure check the cooling system. However, can you tell us where the thermostat is located?

Richard :

You should be able to rent a pressure tester and an adapter from your local parts store like pepboys. Install it to the reservoir and pressure test it to the amount on the cap. When filling the engine see if there is a cap on the metal cross over tube on top of the alternator. If there is use a 1/4 drive tool to emove that cap and fill the sysetm through there first.

Richard :

The thermostat is located under the front of your vehicle inside the housing. Click on the link.