jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience

ford: thermostat..put a new water pump with a clockwise rotation.

I have just installed a ford 302 in my car. It runs excellent with one exception.
I have a 180 thermostat in the vehicle. I have put a new water pump with a clockwise rotation. V belt drive. New radiator, thermostat,water pump and hoses and new water temperature gauges. Fresh 5550/50 anti freeze timed at 8 btc. New Performer Edelbrock carbureator 600cfm and performer Edelbrock intake manifold and all new exhaust. The engine is from a 1979 Mustang with a serpentine belt drive. The problem is the engine seems to run at 240 to 246 degrees with a 180 degree thermostat. I have used the thermal laser gun for temp readings. it shows 179 at the lower intake hose and 220 degrees at the upper outlet on the radiator.
Do you have any Ideas that might help correct the problem. The engine is all newly rebuilt.

Chat Conversation Started
GUY V.I. :

hi, I would check the fan you might need a more higher cfm electric fan try running water through the radiator when it gets hotter and see if that cools down the motor ,if it does and the motor runs around 200 or so degrees then you might consider installing an electric fan ...guy..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you mean drain the antifreeze and replace with water. when the system gets around 200 degrees run water through the system with the pet cock open and see if the engine cools down. This would indicate the fan is not sufficent cfm.?
no ,with the system sealed run water over the radiator (front of)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I undersand now. That makes sense.
I will try later today. Thanks. I will keep you informed
ok, and thank you ...guy...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK \
you are welcome...guy..