Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

1998 isuzu rodeo: code reader..the check engine light is on?..trick

I just purchased a 1998 Izuzu Rodeo and have several questions. 1 - where do I plug the code reader in to see why the check engine light is on? 2 - the hood latch cable is inoperative - is there any trick to replacing it? 3 - the deck lid latch appears to be broken - turning the key in either direction does nothing - even when button ( glass release?) is out it merely goes in with no effect - so is it possible to remove the inner panel with the door closed and get to the mechanism? 4$ - the engine has a miss and a noise. The noise is a metalllic clang heard at the tailpipe - and it seems to have an exhaust leak - it almost sounds like something in the exhaust - so question - are the plugs under each coil pack , and if so do I merely remove them and replace the spark plugs? I feel the smoothing the running will help isolate the noise - it does not seem to be coming from the engine, although there is a whine.
Plugs under each coil pack easily replaced remove the coil packs.The obd connector is under drivers dash.The metal rod most likely came off the latch for the deck lid and removing the panel you should be able to reattach it.The engine wine is either a faulty alternator or tensioner or power steering pump.Also make sure the timing belt and water pump was done.The engine light could be on because of the exhaust leak you will know once you get the code.Also any auto zone will scan it for free.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I note some of the response involves making sure water pump and timing belt have been replaced. Without ayt previous info, how do I do tha?. Also I see no response regarding the hood latch cable replacement instructions, and how to remove back panel with door closed?
Usually the hood latch cable breaks at the inside release check that .You would need to see if there are any timing cover bolts missing or if it loks like the timing covers were removed to actually have somewhat of an idea if it was done .There is no real telling without a repair history .Either way its way overdue and needs to be done if you plan on keeping the truck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The problem is that the interior end of the cable is not attached to the lever and is just hanging, so I feel it is necessary to replace the cable. The latch lever seems to be okay, but does the cable come as an assembly with the interior latch? I can pull on the cable and it does not release the hood, so I was asking for detailed instructions to R & R it.

Also the tailgate panel - screws or pops off with door closed or??

Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks!

Ok I will post all you need tomorrow I am signing of for the night.The cable and release are separate.If you pull the cable with vice grips will it open the hood?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good morning - just getting around to working on truck and am starting on problem with rear deck lid. Seems that plastic cover is curved around all the edges and into jamb. Keeping in mind door is shut, and latch inoperative, how do I go abouit remove plastic cover to access latch without destroying it? Are there some screws or should it just pop off if I can get some type of hook behind it?
Ok this is going to be the hard part and the panel will get damaged I will not lie. Remove any caps and there are screws behind there then you will need to remove it from the top there are just clips . There's a good chance the panel will break or get damaged but this is the only way.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will try and get back to you
Let me see if I can post a diagram of the rear panel for you quick so you know where the fasteners are.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK - while my partner is vacuuming inside I looked at hood release cable - yes to your question - when I am under hood with hood open I can manually close latch and if I pull on cable by latch it will release. However does not seem to do so by pulling inside of vehicle. Also main jist of my question is how to replace cable - seems to run from engine compartment through left fender - do I have to remove fender to replace cable?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got message and am awaiting diagram - looks like messages crossed in mail - still also need cable info - thanks - will accept many times before we are through

Yes just the inner fender liner .Should be able to just replace the inside handle these are what usually fail.Heres the diagram of the rear tailgate.

graphic

HEres the hood cable it usually break from the inner handle or falls out of the holder for the cable.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank You - it is indeed a bad cable - if I understand correctly I have to remove the left front tire and inner fender well assembly to change. Is that correct?

On to next qyestion - I am going to clean fuel injectors - my kit requires A - disable fuel pump and B - block return line to tank. So is there a fuse or relay I can remove to stop pump and yet allow engine to run ( specific location)??

We live in a small town with no Izuzu dealer - can you recommend an online site for parts??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also I do not know if you got my request for the inside tailgate diagram??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now the dumbest question of all - it seems like the tranny (auto) is low on fluid and we cannot find a dipstick?? Any ideas??
This is a sealed unit and there is no fill it's actually done by a machine that pumps the fluid in. Yes about the cable that's the correct way to install. As for the tailgate let me try to post another diagram.There is a fuel pump relay just remove that to disable the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok then how do I add fluid? It drives just as though it is low - turning a corner produces a shudder or perhaps trying to slip, same with hard acceleration - just as though was low on fluid. I have had great success with Lucas trans additive and would like to try to add some if possible. All the gear work and shift okay, but do not like the shudder.
Ok you this is done by machine but you can remove the console and the shorter to add fluid but do not recommend it . You can have it hooked up to a Trans flush machine which gets connected to the cooler lines and have the additive added when it gets filled.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
don't understand "shorter"? Do you think by what I have described that it would be a good idea to have flushed and replace fluid, or does it sound like trans is gone?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok - here's more - First of all got tailgate to open and it seems that all is electrical - both to lock and unlock and to open glass and to open tailgate. I can find no electrical power to back, but lots of wires. Do not see any fuses marked for tailgate, but all power windows and locks on the doors work. Any ideas where to look?

Ps - again accepted your answers for the third time. I would repost , but do not know how to be sure I get you. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
more update - checked power to rear with key on - has power ???Would seem to me should have power with key in hand so you did not need 2 keys to operate - also even though power with key on, nothing seems to work - maybe I do not understand how is supposed to work?
There an actuator like the doors for the door locks that's most likely bad . Has this been checked.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No it has not been checked as I don't know what to check. Instructions please.

Also you did not answer about the tranny possibilities. A friend (mechanic) tells me I may be in real trouble with the tranny (very expensive to repair $3500). He says there are 2 drain plugs in the pan (there are) and if I loosen the center one and no fluid runs out it could indeed be low on fluid. He also states these trannys are junk. As I am on a fixed income ( retired) I would appreciate any info you can give me ( preferably a service manual for the tranny).

I am sorry to take so long to get back to you , but have been gone.

Also you did not address how to start a seperate post and still get you?

Ok yes unfortunately these transmissions are known to fail he is correct.So you will need to add the treatment and hope for the best . You can get a salvage unit for 700 or so and install that but there's a chance that could be bad.Let me post the diagram on the rear latch. I was also out had to bring my daughter to the doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK - but please address all my concerns in the above post - should I loosen the center plug? Should I drain the fluid with the other plug? how do I fill It? What does remove the shorter?mean? Waiting the service info on both the tranny and the rear hatch. Waiting for instructions how to check electrical on hatch?
Yes loosen the center plug .You can use a suction gun to add fluid in that hole until if flows out you can add the additive that way also.Just add fluid or the additive when removing the center plug along with the additive when it flows out its full.As for the hatch .I dont have the test at this time for the rear actuator its either a rod fell off or letter a in the diagram is bad.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will let you know in the AM
Ok will be here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good morning - am about to check tranny and if it is low add Lucas. Two questions - if it is low , should I drain and refiil with new fluid and does it use regular ATF?
Do not drain an add new hid just add the Lucas and top off the fluid. If you drain the fluid it will make the issue worse .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well by the time I got this message I was through - FYI the center plug drains the pan and the side one is the fill - anyhow I drained (only about1.25qts) and refilled adding the Lucas also and - ready?? it works perfect! So many thanks. Also lubed up all rear tailgat parts with WD40 and although electrics still not working, gate opens and closes fine.

Will accept again when I get your next reply, and will be asking more for sure.

About how to start a new question and be sure to you?

Anytime .Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Anytime you want me just ask for Cardoctor74.

Do you still need anything?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, but off for the weekend - have a good one!
You too .Talk to you soon.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now on to the gas suage -it always reads empty with light flashing - I found paperwork in car indicating fuel pump was replaced 7/2009 for $660! Can you tell me how to test with out removing tank?
Ok the problem is the fuel sender which is part of the pump. Has it been reading empty since the pump replacement?There is no need to test these sending units are known to fail it will need to be replaced.

ClickHere
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can not tell about how long as I just got car - are you telling me must drop tank ?
Yes need to drop the tank unfortunately.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks a lot!! Ha-ha
Anytime . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.