Noah
Noah, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master technician & L1, EPA certified emissions specialist (Wa.), 12 years exp.
40698729

chugs down into first or stalls when braking.

Customer Question

chugs down into first or stalls when braking. chugs to get up to speed unless I floor it then it goes fine.
Category: Car
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a check engine light on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
it sounds like the transmission is not down shifting and/or coming out of lockup. I have seen this before on these trucks. The torque converter fails and has the same effect as trying to come to a stop in gear on a manual transmission. What does the transmission fluid look like?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on the dipstick it looks thinner than oil and kind of clear with a tinge of orange. but thats what its supposed to look like right?
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
It should be a bit thinner than oil and it should be cherry red. It sounds like your transmission fluid has been overheated and burnt. This may have been the cause or a result of the transmission problem, its hard to say at this point. How many miles do you have on the truck?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
210000
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
I would try a bottle of trans cleaner to try and loosen up the valves in the valve body. When burnt fluid is left in a transmission for a long time the valves get coated in varnish that makes them stick. If the transmission cleaner doesn't work your probably looking at internal transmission repair work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
trans cleaner huh. can you reccomend a type or brand?
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.

They are all about the same. They mostly consist of high concentrations of the same types of detergents that are found in transmission fluid. After you put it in, drive the vehicle on a several mile trip to let it do its thing. Its a bit of a long shot but I have seen it work a few times.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i hope so. do i put that down the same hole the dipstick is in, or is there usually another hole?

Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
That will go down the dipstick tube. They make them a bit bigger in diameter on the transmission so you can add fluid though them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so i got some stuff, it says to add 1 oz per quart of trans capacity. how do i figure out the trans capacity?
Expert:  Noah replied 4 years ago.
Just put the hole bottle in. But the trans cap is about 15 quarts