Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

99 Oldsmobile Intrigue: v6..a gasket for the lower intake manifold

Customer Question

I have a 99 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.8 3800 series engine v6. I have just took out and replaced a gasket for the lower intake manifold. I have replaced all all new plugs and wires, new thermostat and gasket, and new lower intake manifold gasket. I also replaced all 3 of the o rings that came in the lower intake manifold gasket kit. I cleaned it all up for good surface and buffed it down where the old gasket was. I hooked all plug wires up in the correct firing order and properly seated on plug. Every plug is plugged in and locked back in place as it was before I took it apart, with no extra plugs unplugged. I also flushed out radiator, block, and all hoses to ensure nothing else was in there from when the intake gasket went.
have turned it over probably 10 times for long strokes of turning over and I get nothing. It doesn't even seem like she wants to fire, she just keeps turning over. Any ideas on what I am missing or not doing?
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
This could be many things, I am assuming it ran before the intake gaskets? I would check the ign module to be sure it is plugged in, injector harness to be sure it is plugged in, check fuses to be sure none blew during the installation, be sure all sensors are plugged in.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was about 3 weeks I got to almost to my destination and my check service engine light came on. At that point I was less than a mile to my destination. I pulled in the drive way she was still running she just had a stutter like a tune up was needed. I came back out about a half hour later tryed to start it she acted like she had a dead battery. I keep trying to start and I got her started and then I noticed white smoke pouring out the exhaust so I shut it back off and had a tow truck take it home so I could work on it. She had very little run time when this problem occured.

I am working without a book here, because it will take a couple days to get so I'm just trying to get the job done now. So a little help with what the IGN module is and where is it located would be helpful thanks.
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
The ignition module in at the passenger front of the engine, it is below the coils. It is often unplugged during this job. One other thing to look at is the spark plugs they often become flooded during this job so if they have not been changed you might try that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I will look at this in the morning and get back to you. Thanks!
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.

Ok, good luck