Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1999 Lexus ES300: 102,000 miles..catalytic converter..mass air flow

I have a 1999 Lexus ES300 with 102,000 miles. In Dec 2009 I had the catalytic converter and 2 air fuel sensors replaced. Recently, after the VSC lights went on, I took the car to the Lexus repair shop and was told I needed a mass air flow sensor. This would cost another $500. Could someone provide an explanation as to what might be going on mechanically, and whether this could be done at a local shop. I took it to a shop and of course they wanted to do their own diagnostic evaluation, get the part from Lexus, etc so it would end up about the same.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
AMEDEE :

Hello!

AMEDEE :

THis is very common! The mass air flow sensor goes bad all the time and will cause all sorts of problems. THe mass air flow sensor has been known to cause converter codes and air fuel sensor codes as well, It is easy to get tricked into replacing these parts as the root cause is the mass air flow sensor.

AMEDEE :

I would replace the mass air flow sensor regardless. Get one from the delearhip and put it on yourself.... it is not hard.

Customer:

I am not mechanically inclined. What do you think would be a reasoanble charge for parts and labor. I was quoted $453 by the dealer.

AMEDEE :

THat does sound right... a bit high... but reasonable.

Customer:

How important is it to get the part from Lexus directly vs reconditioned part? If I take it to a local shop, is it necessary for them to do their own diagnostic?

AMEDEE :

It is very important to get a an O. E. part on your vehicle. If the dealership already diagnosed it, then you do not need to pay again for another diagnoses. You can always have the local auto parts store just put the part on for you.

AMEDEE :

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

Customer:

Thanks for your help. One last question: What is an O.E. part?

AMEDEE :

O. E. means original equitment

AMEDEE :

Did you have any further questions?

Customer:

No thanks again.

Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector