Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN,30 YRS EXPERIENCE
22989858

2001 VW: hills..progressively worse..the Service Engine light came on

I have a 2001 VW TDI. A few weeks ago, it started cutting out on hills. It got progressively worse, and the Service Engine light came on. I took it to the dealer, they ran a diagnostic, and it said the injectors were firing wrong -- most likely a faulty module in the injection pump (you guessed it, they recommended a new injection pump). I took it to a foreign auto repair shop and the mechanic wanted to try a few other things first. The snow screen was filthy, and he told me my mass airflow sensor was wrong (it was for a 2.0 gas), so he replaced it. The car seems to have more power and is more responsive now, but it is still cutting out on hills. I called and talked to the mechanic and he told me when it acts up to pull over and check the fuel lines for bubbles (air). I did that yesterday, and I don't see any sign of bubbles in my fuel lines. The Service Engine light is not coming on when this happens now. Could a faulty module in the injector pump be responsible for this type of behavior? Could it be something less expensive than a new injector pump?
Submitted: 6 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

This also often a faulty solenoid or can also be a faulty ECM Connect a full function Volkswagen compatible scan tool and perform an output diagnostic test on the fuel cut-off solenoid

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What can I expect to pay for a full function scan tool? Do you have any personal preferences?
I prefer the 02 see genesis you're probably going to spend approximately $4500 to 5000 this is very cost prohibitive it's probably much wiser two we just have either a qualified repair shop or the dealer scan it for you