JacobTD, Mechanic
Experience:  12 Years First hand

tie rods installed on our car.

Customer Question

We had tie rods installed on our car. After we left our breaks caught on fire. The fire departmet and a mechanic said our break were not locked up and the were working propery. They said we should get the master brake cylinder inspected since both front breaks caught on fire. I took the car to another shop and had the whole brake system checked out. They said except for the damage done by the fire the whole brake system was in good working order. My question is how could the tie rod have caused this?
Category: Car
Expert:  JacobTD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
JacobTD :

No. however, If its never been aligned before these buggers are tight, the best thing to use is a penitrationg oil to get them free to do the adjustments. I bet that there was over spray onto the brakes. once they got hot enough...