Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Where is the thermostat on my 1998 town car?

where is the thermostat on my 1998 town car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
tims auto repair :

hi

Customer:

hello

Customer:

have you read my quastion?

tims auto repair :

yes..this should help you...................

tims auto repair :

it is under the thermast housing at the end of the water hose

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

I need more help because I do not know where my water hose is

tims auto repair :

Thermostat

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

4.6L Engine

See Figures 1 through 6

Fig. Fig. 1: Remove the thermostat housing bolts and ...

Fig. Fig. 2: ... remove the housing from the intake manifold

Fig. Fig. 3: ... remove the thermostat from the intake manifold

Fig. Fig. 4: Thoroughly clean the thermostat mounting surface before installing a new thermostat

Fig. Fig. 5: Always replace the thermostat O-ring with a new one

Fig. Fig. 6: Make sure that the air valve is positioned in the 3 O'clock position after the thermostat is installed

1. Drain the cooling system to a level below the thermostat.

CAUTION

Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.

1. Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing.

2. Remove the 2 thermostat housing retaining bolts and remove the thermostat housing.

3. Remove the thermostat and O-ring seal. Inspect the O-ring for damage and replace, as necessary.

To install:

1. Make sure all mating surfaces are clean.

2. Install the thermostat, O-ring and thermostat housing. Make sure the thermostat is positioned in the 3 o'clock position.

3. Install and alternately tighten the thermostat housing retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm). Connect the upper radiator hose.

4. Fill the cooling system . Check for leaks.

tims auto repair :

Customer:

I need more help because I am not sure if the thermostat is the problem.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

what is going on?

Customer:

a couple of days ago I was in the drive through at taco bell. I noticed an odd smell like an electrical fire or something. I wasn't sure where the smell was coming from. As I drove away from the window my temperature gauge shot up almost to the "h" and I immediately parked the car and turned it off. I also noticed that my ac was blowing warm instead of cold. After I turned the car off I noticed a little white smoke coming from the hood. When I popped the hood there was no smoke or fire. When I turned the car on again the temperature gauge read about normal but my ac was still warm after a couple of seconds of blowing cool air. Since then I have noticed that when my car idles for a few minutes the temperature gauge goes up, but as long as I am in drive it does not.

tims auto repair :

well

tims auto repair :

the thermastat would be the first place to start..it may be stuck open..letting the coolant free-flow....replace the thermastat and refill with coolant....thanks.....Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

How would that cause my temperature gauge to increase when idling for a few minutes? wouldn't a free-flow of coolant keep the engine cool?

tims auto repair :

not really..the coolant would be free flowing,not letting it stay in the radiator long enough to cool it

tims auto repair :

Customer:

ah, ok. thanks.

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.