Mechanic next door
Mechanic next door, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master with 16 ASE certifications and 20+ years of exsperiance.

Lincoln: Mechanics..2006 Lincoln..some house keys..locks

Customer Question

Hi Lincoln Mechanics,

I am a lawyer and I need some help for my client. As part of a very dirty divorce, my client has been accused of breaking into a 2006 Lincoln truck to steal some house keys, after the wife changed the house locks. Criminal charges are pending for breaking and entering, and burglary. There were no witnesses to the alleged crime. I don't anything about cars. The client says the truck had an upgraded $1,500. anti-theft system, but is unsure what this provided. He also says the wife's story to the cops is impossible. The wife's story is that the driver's side door lock was pushed in about two inches, with a horizontal indent mark and some surrounding scratches, that look like someone used a screwdriver. She claims she just noticed it was broken one day, even though she always kept it locked. She places the alleged crime as occuring sometime between Thursday and Sunday, and she noticed it Sunday. She was driving the truck during these 4 days. The 4 day interval makes it impossible for my client to account for every hour of that time. My client says no way could anyone break into that locked truck without the alarm going off, and it wouldn't stop until someone with a key pushed the key button to turn it off. So what do you think? Is my client right, and can I get a Lincoln mechanic to testify, assuming I can find one?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mechanic next door replied 6 years ago.
Yes your client is right depending on the alarm system. If the door lock was pushed in 2 inches it would be hard to not notice it when she was getting in the truck. I would go to you local Lincoln dealer and talk to a service adviser about referring a mechanic to you. The credentials you would need would be ASE certified and or Ford certified. Another option would be a ASE certified technician with a A6 certification which is electronics that works at a after market alarm store that installs the type of alarm that was installed on the truck.
Depending on the alarm system it could be a type that would have disabled the truck when broken into.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. I just checked the Owner's Manuel. This is a Lincoln Mark LT, 2006. The owner's manuel does refer to a passive anti-theft system as standard oy qn the vehicle which prevents the engine from starting if a key not compatible with the car's automatic push-button on key entry system is used. But this truck was not moved by the alleged burglar, just broken into.

My question is if the door lock was pushed in enough to get the door open, wouldn't that 1) set off the alarm, and 2) prevent the correct key from locking and unlocking this door? It doesn't make sense to me that this kind of forced entry wouldn't disable the automatic locking and unlocking how can she not notice for 4 days?