Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

1991 isuzu: the water pump..bolts..timing belt cover..crank pulley

i'm trying to remove the water pump on 1991 isuzu 2.6L. i have 4 of the 5 bolts out, but the last one is behind the timing belt cover and the timing belt cover is behind the crank pulley. do i have to remove the crank pulley to remove the water pump?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

you should be able to get to it without removing the pulley..though it does make it easier

thanks

1988-92 2.6L Engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the undercover, if equipped, and drain the cooling system.

CAUTION When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.

1. Remove the drive belt from the water pump pulley.
  2. Remove the coolant hose from the pump body, if so equipped.
  3. Remove the fan blade and pulley from the pump hub.
  4. Remove the water pump-to-engine bolts, the water pump and gasket.
  5. Clean and inspect the mounting surfaces of the water pump and engine.

To install:

1. Install a new gasket and the water pump; torque the water pump-to-engine bolts to 24-38 ft. lbs. (33-52 Nm).
  2. Install the fan blade and pulley to the water pump.
  3. Connect the water hose to the pump, if so equipped.
  4. Install and adjust the drive belt.
  5. Refill the cooling system and install the undercover, if equipped.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
  7. Operate the engine to normal operating temperatures and check for leaks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one of the bolts is behind the lower part of the timing belt cover. how do i get it off?

hi

2.3L and 2.6L Engines

2. Remove all accessory drive belts.
  3. Remove the cooling fan and pulley.
  4. If equipped, remove the power steering pump from its mount and unbolt the hydraulic line from the upper timing cover. Move the pump and hydraulics lines out of the work area. If the lines must be disconnect, plug them to prevent fluid loss and contamination.
  5. Remove the upper timing cover.
  6. Rotate the crankshaft to set the engine at TDC/compression for the No. 1 cylinder. The arrow mark on the camshaft timing sprocket aligns with the mark on the back timing cover.
  7. Use a suitable holder tool to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.

The starter motor can be removed and a bar-type crankshaft holder tool installed in its opening.

1. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  2. Remove the lower timing belt cover.

To install:

1. Clean any oil, coolant, or excess sealant from the timing belt covers before installation.
  2. Install the lower timing belt covers. Tighten the bolts to 4.4 ft. lbs. (6 Nm).
  3. Install the crankshaft pulley and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm).
  4. Remove the crankshaft holder tool. Install the starter motor if it was removed and tighten its bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
  5. Install the upper timing belt cover.
  6. If removed, install the power steering pump. Tighten the mounting bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm). Reconnect the fluid line fittings with new washers and tighten the banjo bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
  7. Install the cooling fan and pulley and tighten the pulley mounting bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
  8. Install and adjust the accessory drive belts.
  9. Verify that all wiring harnesses and vacuum lines have reconnected correctly.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable.
  11. Refill and bleed the power steering system.
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.