Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2002 Chevy: 10 Extended Cab..V6..Automatic Transmission..cool down

I have a 2002 Chevy S-10 Extended Cab, with a 4.3L V6 and Automatic Transmission. Recently while towing my boat the water temperature began to rise to between 230 and 260degrees F. I pulled to the side of the road allowed the engine to cool down and returned home. Since that time the temp. has been unstable and wants to work its way up. As recently as today after spending 4 hours to flush and refill the cooling system it happened. After completing the flush and refill I took off on a 30 mile loop to see if the problem had been resolved. It regrettably did not. Getting on the highway with the AC on MAX the temp appeared to be stable at around 200 to 210. After traveling down the highway for 10 miles the temp began to rise. I exited and returned home on some back roads, with the temp still climbing and while the AC was on. As I approached a stop sign I slipped an air-conditioner thermometer into the vent and switched over to high heat (nice on a day in Central Arkansas where the actual air temp was already 99). With the additional surface area that the heater provided the temp was back to around 210 before reaching the house, and the air temperature from the vent was around 160 to 170 degrees F. Note that while flushing and replacing the fluid the air temperature was measured at 180 degrees at extended idle. After returning home and allowing the engine to cool some back to normal I performed one additional test while at idle and after reaching "operating temperature", I turned on MAX AC and with in a few minutes (less than 2) the temperature began to rise beyond 210. I then did nothing more than switch to high heat and the temp quickly returned to 210.
What is going on and how can I fix it?

Thank you,
Hot and Sweat in Central Arkansas.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
tims auto repair :

hi,,did you replace the thermastat?

Customer:

Hello Tim,

Customer:

Yes I replace it with a new 195 degree t/stat with failsafe

Customer:

Already Tried:
Flush and Re-Fill the cooling system (4 times) replace the thermal couple pickup on the block that reads the engine temp replace the thermostat (195 degree with failsafe and 1/16 hole to prevent airlock) replaced lower radiator hose to insure that it was not collapsing replaced the radiator cap

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

this leaves only the fan clutch..aparently it isnt pulling enough air,,,

Customer:

I am not suspect of the water-pump as he weep hole is dry and when you engage the heat it will run you out of the truck.

tims auto repair :

no,the pump is good

Customer:

I suspected that but traveling at 70 MPH down the highway should be more than enough airflow to keep it cool, and yet the temp started to rise, and when I turned the heat on and the AC off the temp started to decrease.

Customer:

It is a good truck with on 55,100 original miles as I am the original owner

tims auto repair :

oh...it rises while....on the freeway?

Customer:

yes sur

tims auto repair :

ok..this sounds as if the thermastat is stuck open,,but,sense you know its not,,this would only leave a couple of things,,either the a/c condencer is clogged not letting air to the radiator,,or the radiator itself is clogged on the inside..Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

I have pulled the fan shroud off and checked the AC-Core and the Radiator there was no debris to interfere with the airflow and the AC blows ice cold (around 55-60 degrees)

tims auto repair :

i dont mean on the outside of the radiator....if the condenser is clean..then the cores inside the radiator must be clogged

tims auto repair :

i know you have flushed it,,but,this may not get the cores clean

Customer:

okay, I see. The AC core/system has never had the factory seals broken so I will assume that they are good.

tims auto repair :

yeah..the ac is fine

Customer:

Okay that is kind of what I was thinking and that when run the heater on high the added surface area of the heater core is enough to bring the temp back under control.

Customer:

looks like a new radiator is in y furture

Customer:

y = my

tims auto repair :

yes..you will need to replace the radiator..or have a radiator shop do what is called [rodding it out]..Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

it dont take much restriction on these hot days...Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer:

Thank you Tim. Have nice night and a great week.