Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport is having electrical problems,

Customer Question

My 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport is having electrical problems, first off, when I leave the battery connected for more than 12 hours, the battery dies.
2nd I had battery and alternator checked both o/k, but when starting car I have 14.45 volts to battery, but after running for 5/10 minutes the volotage drops to under 12 volts.
so car eventualy dies. PLEASE HELP
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
AMEDEE :

Hello! My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be able to help you out with your vehicle. Lets start with the battery loosing charge as it sits overnight. You are going to have to pinpoint what is drawing the battery down. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw! Disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, u have found the circuit that the draw is on! Here is a hint, a lot of times it is either the dome light, trunk light or the glove compartment light that stays on. If you do not want to go through the hassle of the test, pull the bulbs out and see if that helps.

Customer:

what about my 2nd question.

AMEDEE :

Well, the alternator is definately not charging. When this happens, we will need to take a look at the inputs to the back of the alternator to be sure that it is getting all the right inputs in order to tell the alternator to charge. If not, the alternator will not charge.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

I am just checking up on you.

Did you have any further questions?

Edited by AMEDEE on 8/6/2010 at 11:29 PM EST